Westport Cosmetic Dentistry Blog

Westport, Fairfield, Darien and New Canaan, Connecticut

Monday, December 14, 2009

Gum Disease and Diabetes

Having practiced dentistry for over 25 years, I have seen many Type I and Type II diabetic patients in my practice. I have had numerous conversations with their physicians regarding their glycemic control as it relates to their periodontal status. I have also felt that periodontal disease should be considered a complication of diabetes, as it is so prevalent in that population.

The International Diabetes Foundation has very recently published their guidelines for oral health in people with diabetes, a copy of which is enclosed. You will note that they now find that periodontal disease is, in fact, a named complication in both Type I and Type II diabetes.

I have formed The Fairfield Oral Systemic Evaluation Center in my office to help patients and physicians evaluate and treat Periodontal Disease in the hopes of maintaining better health for those patients with Diabetes.

posted by Dr. Worthington at 7:05 AM